How To Make Your Own Balanced Dog Food In 3 Easy Steps - Care2.com

How To Make Your Own Balanced Dog Food In 3 Easy Steps - Care2.com

Since completely cleaning up my own diet, I’ve become inspired to do the same for my dogs. I personally know the benefits of eliminating all processed foods, eating organic, eliminating sugar, etc.  I started following pet nutritionist Rodney Habib to learn what I could do to improve the diets of my Labs, Sanchez and Gina.

Honestly, I was amazed how simple and fast it was to make homemade balanced meals for my pups. And I was also pleasantly surprised that I already had most of the ingredients in my pantry, aside from the meat. And, because Sanchez can’t eat raw while he’s recovering from E. Coli, I can make the same meal for both of my dogs, feed it to Gina raw and cook and freeze Sanchez’s meals.

Rodney’s recipe (taken from his video above) makes about 1 lb of food and contains about 40 calories per ounce.

  • 14 oz 90 percent lean ground beef
  • 2 tsp hempseed or 3 Tbsp hempseeds
  • 1/2 tsp Carlson’s cod liver oil or 2 oz. sardines
  • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp kelp powder
  • 1 egg (save 1/2 egg shell for use)
  • 1 oz beef liver
  • 1 oz broccoli
  • 1 oz bell pepper
  • 1 oz spinach

1. Mix the beef, hempseeds, liver oil, kelp and egg together. Set aside half the egg shell.
2. Combine 1/2 of the egg shell with the beef liver and veggies in a food processor.
3. Hand mix everything together. Cook or serve raw. Or package and freeze for later.

Do you cook your own pet food? Thanks for sharing your recipes and experiences in a comment below. And, if you make Rodney’s recipe, let us know how your pups liked it.

Related:
DIY Gluten-Free Dog Treats With Pumpkin
Are We Killing Our Pets With Treats?
How To Make Your Own Cat Food

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save